What are Wine Bottle 'Punts'?

We love our wine here at The Rail, but did you ever wonder what the concave indentation at the bottom of wine bottles are? It's called a punt and it's had a variety of uses over the years.

Here's what wine bottle punts are were originally for and how their importance has evolved over the years... all in under 60 seconds.